Six children, ranging from 2 to 19 years of age, were killed when this rural Michigan house exploded early on the morning of September 3, 2005. If you use propane in your home or business, this kind of incident could happen to you. Here’s what you need to know about propane and odor fade.
Notre Dame Magazine, Summer 2009
FAMILY FRIEND GENE BOSCO AND BOB ROCHE (BACKGROUND).
Louise bends to stroke Bob Roche’s hair and murmur into his ear. “Robert,” she says softly, dropping the T in the French version of his name. “We have company.”
Their eyes meet for a moment. Louise smiles adoringly at her husband of 28 years. Roche swivels his head, his eyes fixed on a distant, unseen horizon. He sighs and moans. The low whir of medical equipment fills the sparsely furnished living room. Roche grimaces, smacking his lips. Gnarled by contractures, his hands slowly gesture without purpose.
“It’s so hard to see him like that,” Louise says, her dark fingers tenderly cradling his face. “He didn’t bring me here for this.”
The lives of the Roche family – and of countless others halfway around the world whose own lives had been ineffably touched by his years of service to the least among us – were indelibly altered on the night of December 4, 1997, when a rush-hour impact dispatched Bob to a place somewhere between life and death.
I recently discovered an alarming resource on the web — the US Consumer Product Safety Commission’s National Electronic Injury Surveillance System (NEISS). It’s a sort of almanac of ouch.